Sunday, June 1, 2008

Wow - What a storm...

Last night as we were getting the shoes on the kids to go for a bike ride (as it was bright and sunny out), the tornado sirens started going off. Odd. However, since there have been some really serious tornados lately, Robert took a detour to the basement with the kids while I closed all of the windows and put the cars in the garage. I turned on the TV and saw the news showing pictures of an intersection that was only a 5 minute drive from our house and we said to each other, "There is no way!" Within about 3 minutes, we heard some huge crashes into the side of the house and the following pictures are what happened in about 15 minutes time. It was WILD and we are really grateful everyone is okay.

I have never seen hail this size before. I hope I never see it again

Here are parts of our tree all over our driveway - everything was beat up.


Going up to our front door. The plants were hammered.

Earlier in the day I was thinking about how happy I was with how the hostas had come back this year. Maybe next year they will look super nice. :) Here is one of them up close.


The table on our deck. (my parents had a broken window)

Some BIG hail





Our drain pipes all look the same



And pictures of our siding - the whole neighborhood looks the same.



Some of our screens had trouble too.




Shortly after the storm the whole neighborhood was outside inspecting the damage. One car that was left in a driveway had a shattered rear window.





Look at that pile up of hail at our neighbor's front door.


Annie showing us the hail - the kids had fun in the puddles. Notice how it is all sunny outside just minutes after the storm.

The rainbow....and at least our raspberries are all okay! I hope your Saturday evening was much less eventful.

9 comments:

JennyW said...

Yesterday was insane!! I still can't believe how out of nowhere that storm came! And my poor car my never recover. :-( At least everyone was ok.

Sally said...

Thanks for a great couple of posts, Laura. I am going to have my kids check it out to know what we went through. It really was wild? Sally

Lisa Michelle said...

That hail is HUGE!! Yikes!! Glad you are all ok. Sorry to hear about the house/plant damage!

nicilee said...

So glad you guys weren't out in that when it started. Good thing you were able to move the cars into your garage do they didn't end up looking like your rain gutters. Can't believe how big the hail is. Crazy!! We've had hail this spring but ours was the size of pees and well... peas to gum balls makes a big difference.

Kent and Leisy said...

wow!!! those hailstones are ginormous!! I can't believe they did all that damage in just a few minutes. Hooray for the tornado sirens- we've got them here too but we don't have a garage to pull our car into!

Rachael said...

Holy huge hail!! that's incredible! I'm glad everyone was okay. One of those could really leave a bruise, huh? Sad about the hostas. I really love those! But I'm glad to hear that your raspberries pulled through!

Anonymous said...

robert and laura! i didnt even know you had a blog! that storm looked pretty crazy. how can nata and i add a link to your blog on ours?

OnCallMom said...

laura, that is insane! I've never seen anything like it.

Anonymous said...

That is one major storm...I've never seen hail that size. I'm glad you were all inside. I've heard the weather in the midwest has been horrible this year...I'm so glad I'm not there anymore, but it would be cool to see from inside the house.